Well, Mother and I did have a sewing session on Saturday. I recovered this darling Poang children's chair from Ikea and Mother worked on huge floor pillows. And we praised each other's work constantly, which helps a lot. However, she cut the first pillow cover thinking the pillow was 24" square. She had sewn on the cording when I realized what she had done and told her, no, the pillow is 28" square. She said a dirty word. Then she told me to buy a 24" pillow. This is her sewing her second pillow-- 28" square. I think she cranked out almost three large pillows that day. I'll shoot pics this week.
Well, enough about her, let's get back to this darling chair. I am quite proud of it and I think it shows off the Sprig fabric very well. I plan to do an adult version of the chair and footstool. I did take pictures at some points along the way, so I can construct a general how-to on this. I'm awfully proud of the back. The seat is actually a Tyvek-like material that literally slips over a frame. So I just made a canvas "bag" the same size as the Tyvek one to cover all that stuff up. The cushy part of the seat just slips over the frame on the top and the bottom. I reused the fiberfill cushion of the cushion, and just restitched the "channels" on the front. Then I essentially sewed it up like it was a pillow, with an opening on the side to turn it right side out. Voila! It really wasn't terribly hard and I think the same technique could be used on lots of chairs- just use the original materials as your pattern.
(Update 2/6/08: I did write up a general overview of what I did here.)